Dr. Twamley’s research focuses on bridging neuropsychology and interventions for individuals with psychiatric illness, history of traumatic brain injury, or other cognitive impairments. Her current intervention studies focus on compensatory cognitive training (see www.cogsmart.com) and supported employment. Dr. Twamley’s other research interests include cognitive impairment and disability in homeless individuals, the neuropsychology of everyday functioning, genetic markers of cognition, cognitive impairment in PTSD, and the use of technology to improve cognition. Dr. Twamley’s research has been funded by National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), VA, Department of Defense, and the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation (NARSAD).
Dr. Twamley is a licensed clinical psychologist specializing in neuropsychological assessment, cognitive rehabilitation, and supported employment. She is particularly interested in community- based interventions that help people reach their highest potential social and occupational functioning. She supervises postdoctoral fellows and doctoral students at UCSD and VASDHS. She also conducts a neuropsychological assessment clinic at the Village Family Health Center.
- Walter KH, Jak AJ, Twamley EW. (2016). Psychiatric comorbidity effects on compensatory cognitive training outcomes for veterans with traumatic brain injuries. Rehabilitation Psychology. 60(3):303-308.
- Jak AJ, Gregory A, Orff HJ, Colón C, Steele N, Schiehser DM, Delano-Wood L, Jurick SM, Twamley EW. (2015). Neuropsychological performance in treatment-seeking Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom Veterans with a history of mild traumatic brain injury. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology. 37(4):379-88.
- Twamley, E.W., Jak, A.J., Delis, D.C., Bondi, M.W., & Lohr, J.B. (2014). Cognitive Symptom Management and Rehabilitation Therapy (CogSMART) for Veterans with traumatic brain injury: A pilot randomized controlled trial. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 51:59-69.
- Depp, C., Vella, L., Orff, H.J., & Twamley, E.W. (2015). A quantitative review of cognitive functioning in homeless adults. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 203:126-131.
- Twamley, E.W., Thomas, K.R., Gregory, A.M., Jak, A.J., Bondi, M.W., Delis, D.C., & Lohr, J.B. (2015). CogSMART Compensatory Cognitive Training for Traumatic Brain Injury: Effects Over 1 Year. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. 30(6):391-401.
- Orff, H.J., Hays, C.C., & Twamley, E.W. (2016). Multivariate assessment of subjective and objective measures of social and family satisfaction in Veterans with a history of TBI. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 53, 541-550.
- Storzbach, D., Twamley, E.W. (co-first authors), Roost, M.S., Golshan, S., Williams, R.M., O’Neil, M., Jak, A.J., Turner, A.P., Kowalski, H.M., Pagulayan, K.F., & Huckans, M. (2017). Compensatory Cognitive Training for Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation New Dawn (OEF/OIF/OND) veterans with mild traumatic brain injury. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 32, 16-24.
- Pagulayan, K.F., O’Neil, M. (co-first authors), Williams, R.M., Turner, A.P., Golshan, S., Roost, M.S., Laman-Maharg, B., Huckans, M., Storzbach, D., & Twamley, E.W. (2017). Mental health does not moderate Compensatory Cognitive Training efficacy for veterans with a history of mild traumatic brain injury. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 98, 1893-1896.
- Carlson, K.F., Pogoda, T.K., Gilbert, T., Resnick, S.G., Twamley, E.W., O’Neil, M.E., & Sayer, N.A. (in press). Supported employment for veterans with traumatic brain injury: patient perspectives. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Twamley, E.W., Thomas, K.R., Burton, C.Z., Vella, L., Jeste, D.V., Heaton, R.K., & McGurk, S.R. (in press). Compensatory Cognitive Training for people with severe mental illnesses in supported employment: a randomized controlled trial. Schizophrenia Research.
- Howe, E.I., Langlo, K.S., Terjesen, H.C.A., Roe, C., Schanke, A., Søberg, H.L., Sveen, Unni, Aas, E., Enehaug, H., Alves, D.E., Klethagen, P., Sagstad, K., Moen, C.M., Torsteinsbrend, K., Linnestad, A., Nordenmark, T.H., Rismyhr, B.S., Wangen, G., Lu, J., Ponsford, J., Twamley, E.W., Ugelstad, H., Spjelkavik, Ø., Løvstad, M., & Andelic, N. (in press). Combined cognitive and vocational interventions after mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial and qualitative process evaluation. Trials.
- Olsen, D.C., Hays, C.C., Orff, H.J., Jak, A.J., & Twamley, E.W. (in press). Correlates of employment and postsecondary education enrollment in Afghanistan and Iraq veterans with traumatic brain injuries. Brain Injury.