9500 Gilman Dr. MC 8505
La Jolla, CA 92037
Jessica Bomyea, Ph.D., is a research health scientist at the VA Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health and assistant professor at the University of California, San Diego. Dr. Bomyea received her doctoral degree from the San Diego State University/University of California, San Diego (UCSD) Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology.
Dr. Bomyea’s research seeks to understand how aspects of cognition (e.g., executive functioning) may confer risk for and perpetuate post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms. In addition, she studies novel interventions for PTSD with the goal of translating principles of cognitive science to new treatment approaches. Her research also seeks to delineate the processes by which change occurs in treatment. She is currently working on projects examining the neurobiological characteristics of individuals with PTSD and/or traumatic brain injury (TBI), and neural substrates of cognitive interventions for PTSD.
- Bomyea, J., Matthews, S. C., Buchsbaum, M. S., Spadoni, A. D., Strigo, I. A., & Simmons, A. N. (2017). Neural differences underlying face processing in veterans with TBI and co-occurring TBI and PTSD. Journal of Affective Disorders, 223, 130-138.
- Bomyea, J., Stein, M. B., & Lang, A. J. (2015). Interference control training for PTSD: Arandomized controlled trial if a novel computer-based intervention. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. 34:33-42.
- Bomyea, J., Ramsawh, H., Ball, T. M., Taylor, C. T., Paulus, M. P., Lang, A. J., & Stein, M. B. (2015). Intolerance of uncertainty as a mediator of reductions in worry in a cognitive behavioral treatment program for anxiety. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. 33:90-94.
- Bomyea, J., Lang, A. J., Golinelli, D., Craske, M. G., Chavira, D., Sherbourne, C. D., Rose, R., Campbell-Sills, L., Welch, S. S., Sullivan, G., Bystritsky, A., Roy-Byrne, P., & Stein, M. B. (2013). Trauma exposure in anxious primary care patients. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment. 35:254-263.
- Bomyea, J., Amir, N., & Lang, A. J. (2012). The relationship between cognitive control and posttraumatic stress symptoms. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry. 62:607-616.
- Bomyea, J., Risbrough, V., & Lang, A. J. (2012). A consideration of select pre-trauma factors as key vulnerabilities in PTSD.