9500 Gilman Dr. MC 8505
La Jolla, CA 92037
Dr. Loflin received her PhD in Clinical Psychology from the University at Albany, State University of New York in 2016. She completed her pre-doctoral internship at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) / VA San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS) consortium, and two years of an advanced fellowship in Clinical Research split between the National Center for PTSD (NCPTSD) Dissemination and Training Division in Palo Alto, CA and the Center of Excellence for Stress and Mental Health (CESAMH) in San Diego, CA. Dr. Loflin currently holds a joint appointment as a research health scientist at the VASDHS and assistant professor of psychiatry within the UCSD School of Medicine.
Dr. Loflin’s research interest is in development of novel mental health treatments that target the endocannabinoid system. Dr. Loflin is particularly focused on testing the therapeutic value of medicinal cannabis preparations for the treatment of PTSD and co-occurring disorders. She is currently the primary investigator for the first cannabinoid clinical trial funded by VA, which is a double-blind, phase II, drug + psychotherapy trial investigating the therapeutic potential of oral cannabidiol (CBD) as an adjunctive treatment to prolonged exposure therapy in the treatment of PTSD.
- Bonn-Miller, M. O., ElSohly, M., Loflin, M. J. E., Chandra, S., & Vandrey, R. (2018). Cannabis and Cannabinoid Drug Development: Evaluating Botanical Versus Single Molecule Approaches. International Review of Psychiatry, 30, 277-284.
- Loflin, M. J. E., Babson, K., Browne, D., & Bonn-Miller, M. O. (In Press). Assessment of the validity of the CUDIT-R in a Subpopulation of Cannabis Users. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.
- Bonn-Miller, M. O., Loflin, M. J. E., Thomas, B. F., Marcu, J. P., Hyke, T., & Vandrey, R. (2017). Labeling Accuracy of Cannabidiol Extracts Sold Online. JAMA, 318, 1708-1709.
- Loflin, M. J. E., Earleywine, M., Farmer, S., Slavin, M., Luba, R., & Bonn-Miller, M. (2017). Placebo Effects of Edible Cannabis: Onset at 30-Minute Delay. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 49, 393-391.
- Loflin, M. J. E., Earleywine, M., & Bonn-Miller, M. (2017). Medicinal versus Recreational Cannabis Use: Patterns of Cannabis Use, Alcohol Use, and Cued-Arousal among Veterans who Screen Positive for PTSD. Addictive Behaviors, 68, 18-32.
- Loflin, M. J. E., Babson, K. A., & Bonn-Miller, M. O. (2017). Cannabinoids as therapeutic for PTSD. Current Opinion in Psychology, 14, 78-83.