3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161 (116B)
Dr. Colvonen received his Ph.D. from University of Illinois at Chicago in 2013. He completed his internship at the San Diego VA/UCSD in the Substance Abuse/Mental Illness Clinic and the OEF/OIF/OND PTSD clinic. He did his CESAMH post-doctoral fellowship at the San Diego VA.
Dr. Colvonen’s research examines the relationship between PTSD, substance use, and insomnia on treatment outcomes. He is a primary investigator on CDA examining integrating treatment of CBT-I into prolonged exposure to maximize global health outcomes for Veterans. Dr. Colvonen has comprehensive experience in longitudinal studies and experience as a researcher on randomized control trials. Additionally, Dr. Colvonen is currently a co-investigator (Co-I) in a Substance Abuse Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Programs (SARRTP) and PTSD study, and a Co-I on an effectiveness of evidence based treatment for PTSD study.
- Colvonen, P.J., Drummond, S.P., Angkaw, A., & Norman, S.B. (Under Review). Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia Integrated with Prolonged Exposure: Rationale and Pilot Study. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
- Colvonen, P.J., Ellison, J., Haller, M., & Norman, S.B. (2018). Examining Insomnia and PTSD Over Time in Veterans in Residential Treatment for Substance Use Disorders and PTSD. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
- Goldstein, L.A., Colvonen, P.J., & Sarmiento, K.F. (2017). Advancing Treatment of Co-Morbid PTSD and OSA: Response to Treatment of PTSD‐related OSA with CPAP is Associated with Only a Modest Improvement in PTSD: Possible Adjunctive Treatment with Mood Stabilizers. J Clin Sleep Med, 13(6), 843.
- Colvonen, P.J., Glassman, L.H., Crocker, L.D., Buttner, M.M., Orff, H., Schiehser, D.M., Norman, S.B., & Afari, N. (2017). Pretreatment Biomarkers Predicting PTSD Psychotherapy Outcomes: A Systematic Review. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 75, 140-156.
- Haller, M., Colvonen, P.J., Davis, B.C., Trim, R.S., Bogner, R., & Norman, S.B. (2016). Examining Pretreatment Differences between Residential and Outpatient Programs for Veterans with Alcohol Use Disorders and Comorbid Combat-Related PTSD. Journal of Dual diagnosis, 12(4), 282 – 289.
- Norman, S.B., Davis, B.C., Colvonen, P., Haller, M., Myers, U.S., Trim, R.S., Bogner, R., Robinson, S.K. (In Press, 2015). Prolonged Exposure With Veterans in a Residential Substance Use Treatment Program. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice.
- Colvonen, P., Masino, T., Drummond, S., Myers, U., Angkaw, A., & Norman, S. (2014). Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 11(5):513-518.