3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161
Dr. Norman earned her Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology at Stanford University. She completed her pre-doctoral internship at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) / VA San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS), and her postdoctoral fellowship at UCSD focusing on neurobiology of trauma in women. Dr. Norman is the Director of PTSD Consultation Program through the Executive Branch of the National Center for PTSD, a Staff Psychologist and researcher at VASDHS, and a Professor of Psychiatry at UCSD. She formerly directed the PTSD program for Veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan at VASDHS.
- Bannister, J.A., Colvonen, P. J., Angkaw , A. C., & Norman, S. B. (in press). Differential relationships of guilt and shame on posttraumatic stress disorder among veterans. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy.
- Myers, U.S., Haller, M., Angkaw, A.C., Harik, J.M., & Norman, S.B. (2018). Evidence-Based Psychotherapy Completion and Symptom Improvement Among Returning Combat Veterans with PTSD. Accepted to Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. DOI: 10.1037/tra0000360
- Norman, S. B., Haller, M., Hamblen, J. L., Southwick, S. M., & Pietrzak, R. H. (2018). The burden of co-occurring alcohol use disorder and PTSD in U.S. military veterans: Comorbidity, functioning, and Suicidality. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Norman, S. B., Haller, M., Kim, H., Allard, C., Porter, K., Stein, M., Venners, M., Authier, C., & Rauch, S. (2018). Trauma related guilt cognitions partially mediate the relationship between PTSD symptom severity and functioning among returning combat veterans. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 100, 56-62. doi:10.1016/j.jpsychires.2018.02.003
- Crocker, L.D., Haller, M., Norman, S.B., & Angkaw, A.C. (2016). Shame versus trauma-related guilt as mediators of the relationship between PTSD symptoms and aggression among returning veterans. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 8(4), 520-527. doi: 10.1037/tra0000151
- Haller M, Norman SB, Cummins K, Trim RS, Xu X, Cui R, Allard CB, Brown SA, Tate SR. (2015). Integrated Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Versus Cognitive Processing Therapy for Adults With Depression, Substance use Disorder, and Trauma. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 62:38-48.
- Jak AJ, Aupperle R, Rodgers CS, Lang AJ, Schiehser DM, Norman SB, Twamley EW. (2015). Evaluation of a hybrid treatment for Veterans with comorbid traumatic brain injury and posttraumatic stress disorder: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 45(Pt B): 210-216.
- Haller M, Angkaw AC, Hendricks BA, Norman SB. (2015). Does Reintegration Stress Contribute to Suicidal Ideation Among Returning Veterans Seeking PTSD Treatment? Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior. [Epub ahead of print].
- Browne, K. C., Myers. U. S., Trim, R., & Norman, S. B. (2015). Trauma-Related Guilt: Conceptual Development and Relationship with Posttraumatic Stress and Depressive Symptoms. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 28(2):134-141.
- Colvonen, P., Masino, T., Drummond, S., Myers, U., Angkaw, A., & Norman, S. B. (2015). Obstructive sleep apnea and posttraumatic stress disorder among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 11(5):513-8.
- Larson, G. E., & Norman, S. B. (2014). Prospective prediction of functional difficulties among recently separated veterans. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 51(3):415-427.