3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161
Dr. Baker earned her medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons (1981), and completed adult and child psychiatry fellowships at the University of Cincinnati (UC) after which she joined the UC faculty as Assistant Professor of Child Psychiatry in 1986. She began work at the Cincinnati VA in 1989, and over the next decade was responsible for developing the VA Cincinnati PTSD inpatient, residential and outpatient treatment programs and the Gulf War Illness Clinic. She was recruited to the VA San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS) in 2004. Since arrival in San Diego her primary activities have been research, teaching and clinical work focused on PTSD, mTBI and co-occurring illnesses. She was appointed to the Psychiatry faculty at University of California, San Diego San as Associate Professor in 2005. She continues on faculty as Professor, Department of Psychiatry from 2012 to present.
Dr. Baker’s main research foci have been the neurobiology of PTSD and mTBI, the interface between PTSD and mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI), and co-occurring disorders, such as cardiac, immune disorders and pain syndromes), seen at higher rates in PTSD and mTBI than in healthy individuals. As outlined in her NIH biosketch her main areas of research contribution throughout her career include: 1) serial cerebrospinal fluid and plasma collection for circadian characterization of neuro-endocrine-immune peptides and hormones across the blood brain barrier in PTSD; 2) design and implementation of a large, prospective (pre- and post-deployment), longitudinal study of active duty Marines, the Marine Resiliency Study (MRS), which has contributed information about risk/resilience factor for development of PTSD; 3) in-depth inquiry into the participation of inflammation in the pathogenesis of PTSD, and the role of inflammation in secondary PTSD-related health-outcomes such as atherosclerotic heart disease; and 4) In tandem with Mingxiong Huang Ph.D., development of imaging biomarkers for the detection of mTBI as distinguished from PTSD; and 5) development of, and participation in single-site and multi-site studies of the safety and efficacy of new treatments (pharmaceutical compounds and neural stimulation) in the treatment of PTSD and mTBI.
At present, Dr. Baker is a teaching attending in the VA San Diego PTSD clinic (Mission Valley). Additionally, throughout her career in Cincinnati and San Diego, she has served as mentor for numerous psychology undergraduate and graduate students, medical residents, fellows, post-doctoral fellows. She also participates in delivery of lectures at UCSD and presents at conferences nationally and internationally.
- Reijnen A, Geuze E, Eekhout I, Maihofer AX, Nievergelt CM, Baker DG, Vermetten E. (2018) Biological profiling of plasma neuropeptide Y in relation to posttraumatic stress symptoms in two combat cohorts. Biol Psychol. 134:72-79
- Thomas ML, Brown GC, Gur R, Moore TM, Patt VM, Risbrough VB, Baker DG. (2018) A Signal Detection-Item Response Theory Model for Evaluating Neuropsychological Measures. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 5:1-16.
- Stout DM, Acheson DT, Moore TM, Gur RC, Baker DG, Geyer MA, Risbrough VB; MRS Team. (2018) Individual variation in working memory is associated with fear extinction performance. Behav Res Ther. 102:52-59.
- Wolf EJ, Maniates H, Nugent N, Maihofer AX, Armstrong D, Ratanatharathorn A, Ashley-Koch AE, Garrett M, Kimbrel NA, Lori A, Va Mid-Atlantic Mirecc Workgroup, Aiello AE, Baker DG, Beckham JC, Boks MP, Galea S, Geuze E, Hauser MA, Kessler RC, Koenen KC, Miller MW, Ressler KJ, Risbrough V, Rutten BPF, Stein MB, Ursano RJ, Vermetten E, Vinkers CH, Uddin M, Smith AK, Nievergelt CM, Logue MW. (2017) Traumatic stress and accelerated DNA methylation age: A meta-analysis. Psychoneuroendocrinology. Dec 27. pii: S0306-4530(17)31260-X. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.12.007. [Epub ahead of print]
- Polimanti R, Amstadter AB, Stein MB, Almli LM, Baker DG, Bierut LJ, Bradley B, Farrer LA, Johnson EO, King A, Kranzler HR, Maihofer AX, Rice JP, Roberts AL, Saccone NL, Zhao H, Liberzon I, Ressler KJ, Nievergelt CM, Koenen KC, Gelernter J. (2017) Psychiatric Genomics Consortium Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Workgroup. A putative causal relationship between genetically determined female body shape and posttraumatic stress disorder. Genome Med. 9(1):99.
- Almli LM, Lori A, Meyers JL, Shin J, Fani N, Maihofer AX, Nievergelt CM, Smith AK, Mercer KB, Kerley K, Leveille JM, Feng H, Abu-Amara D, Flory JD, Yehuda R, Marmar CR, Baker DG, Bradley B, Koenen KC, Conneely KN, Ressler KJ. (2017) Problematic alcohol use associates with sodium channel and clathrin linker 1 (SCLT1) in trauma-exposed populations. Addict Biol. Oct 30. doi: 10.1111/adb.12569. [Epub ahead of print]
- Snijders C, de Nijs L, Baker DG, Hauger RL, van den Hove D, Kenis G, Nievergelt CM, Boks MP, Vermetten E, Gage FH, Rutten BPF. (2017) MicroRNAs in Post-traumatic Stress Disorder. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. Oct 21. doi:10.1007/7854_2017_32. [Epub ahead of print]
- Huang MX, Swan AR, Quinto AA, Matthews S, Harrington DL, Nichols S, Bruder BJ, Snook CC, Huang CW, Baker DG, Lee RR. (2017) A pilot treatment study for mild traumatic brain injury: Neuroimaging changes detected by MEG after low-intensity pulse-based transcranial electrical stimulation. Brain Inj. Sep 19:1-13.doi: 10.1080/02699052.2017.1363409. [Epub ahead of print]
- Breen MS, Tylee DS, Maihofer AX, Neylan TC, Mehta D, Binder E, Chandler SD, Hess JL, Kremen WS, Risbrough VB, Woelk CH, Baker DG, Nievergelt CM, Tsuang MT, Buxbaum JD, Glatt SJ. (2017) PTSD Blood Transcriptome Mega-Analysis: Shared Inflammatory Pathways Across Biological Sex and Modes of Trauma Neuropsychopharmacology. Sep 19. doi: 10.1038/npp.2017.220. [Epub ahead of print]
- Moore TM, Risbrough VB, Baker DG, Larson GE, Glenn DE, Nievergelt CM, Maihofer A, Port AM, Jackson CT, Ruparel K, Gur RC. (2017) Effects of military service and deployment on clinical symptomatology: The role of trauma exposure and social support. J Psychiatr Res. 95:121-128.
- Deslauriers J, Acheson DT, Maihofer AX, Nievergelt CM, Baker DG, Geyer MA, Risbrough VB; Marine Resiliency Study Team. (2017) COMT val158met polymorphism links to altered fear conditioning and extinction are modulated by PTSD and childhood trauma. Depress Anxiety. Aug 18. doi: 10.1002/da.22678. [Epub ahead of print].
- Higgins DM, Martin AM, Baker DG, Vasterling JJ, Risbrough V. (2017) The Relationship between Chronic Pain and Neurocognitive Function: A Systematic Review. Clin J Pain. Jul 17. Doi 10.1097/ AJP.0000000000000536. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ratanatharathorn A, Boks MP, Maihofer AX, Aiello AE, Amstadter AB, Ashley-Koch AE, Baker DG, Beckham JC, Bromet E, Dennis M, Garrett ME, Geuze E, Guffanti G, Hauser MA, Kilaru V, Kimbrel NA, Koenen KC, Kuan PF, Logue MW, Luft BJ, Miller MW, Mitchell C, Nugent NR, Ressler KJ, Rutten BPF, Stein MB, Vermetten E, Vinkers CH, Youssef NA; VA Mid-Atlantic MIRECC Workgroup; PGC PTSD Epigenetics Workgroup, Uddin M, Nievergelt CM, Smith AK. (2017) Epigenome-wide association of PTSD from heterogeneous cohorts with a common multi-site analysis pipeline. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 174(6):619-630.
- Rutten BPF, Vermetten E, Vinkers CH, Ursini G, Daskalakis NP, Pishva E, de Nijs L, Houtepen LC, Eijssen L, Jaffe AE, Kenis G, Viechtbauer W, van den Hove D, Schraut KG, Lesch KP, Kleinman JE, Hyde TM, Weinberger DR, Schalkwyk L, Lunnon K, Mill J, Cohen H, Yehuda R, Baker DG, Maihofer AX, Nievergelt CM, Geuze E, Boks MPM. (2017) Longitudinal analyses of the DNA methylome in deployed military servicemen identify susceptibility loci for post-traumatic stress disorder. Mol Psychiatry. Jun 20. doi: 10.1038/mp.2017.120. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nolte IM, Munoz ML, Tragante V, Amare AT, Jansen R, Vaez A, von der Heyde B, Avery CL, Bis JC, Dierckx B, van Dongen J, Gogarten SM, Goyette P, Hernesniemi J, Huikari V, Hwang SJ, Jaju D, Kerr KF, Kluttig A, Krijthe BP, Kumar J, van der Laan SW, Lyytikäinen LP, Maihofer AX, Minassian A, van der Most PJ, Müller-Nurasyid M, Nivard M, Salvi E, Stewart JD, Thayer JF, Verweij N, Wong A, Zabaneh D, Zafarmand MH, Abdellaoui A, Albarwani S, Albert C, Alonso A, Ashar F, Auvinen J, Axelsson T, Baker DG, de Bakker PIW, Barcella M, Bayoumi R, Bieringa RJ, Boomsma D, Boucher G, Britton AR, Christophersen I, Dietrich A, Ehret GB, Ellinor PT, Eskola M, Felix JF, Floras JS, Franco OH, Friberg P, Gademan MGJ, Geyer MA, Giedraitis V, Hartman CA, Hemerich D, Hofman A, Hottenga JJ, Huikuri H, Hutri-Kähönen N, Jouven X, Junttila J, Juonala M, Kiviniemi AM, Kors JA, Kumari M, Kuznetsova T, Laurie CC, Lefrandt JD, Li Y, Li Y, Liao D, Limacher MC, Lin HJ, Lindgren CM, Lubitz SA, Mahajan A, McKnight B, Zu Schwabedissen HM, Milaneschi Y, Mononen N, Morris AP, Nalls MA, Navis G, Neijts M, Nikus K, North KE, O’Connor DT, Ormel J, Perz S, Peters A, Psaty BM, Raitakari OT, Risbrough VB, Sinner MF, Siscovick D, Smit JH, Smith NL, Soliman EZ, Sotoodehnia N, Staessen JA, Stein PK, Stilp AM, Stolarz-Skrzypek K, Strauch K, Sundström J, Swenne CA, Syvänen AC,Tardif JC, Taylor KD, Teumer A, Thornton TA, Tinker LE, Uitterlinde AG, van Setten J, Voss A, Waldenberger M, Wilhelmsen KC, Willemsen G, Wong Q, Zhang ZM, Zonderman AB, Cusi D, Evans MK, Greiser HK, van der Harst P, Hassan M, Ingelsson E, Järvelin MR, Kääb S, Kähönen M, Kivimaki M, Kooperberg C, Kuh D, Lehtimäki T, Lind L, Nievergelt CM, O’Donnell CJ, Oldehinkel AJ, Penninx B, Reiner AP, Riese H, van Roon AM, Rioux JD, Rotter JI, Sofer T, Stricker BH, Tiemeier H, Vrijkotte TGM, Asselbergs FW, Brundel BJJM, Heckbert SR, Whitsel EA, den Hoed M, Snieder H, de Geus EJC. (2017) Genetic loci associated with heart rate variability and their effects on cardiac disease risk. (2017) Nat Commun. 8:15805. Erratum in: Nat Commun. 8:16140.
- Glenn DE, Acheson DT, Geyer MA, Nievergelt CM, Baker DG, Risbrough VB; MRS-II Team. (2017) Fear learning alterations after traumatic brain injury and their role in development of posttraumatic stress symptoms. Depress Anxiety. 34(8):723-733.
- Duncan LE, Ratanatharathorn A, Aiello AE, Almli LM, Amstadter AB, Ashley-Koch AE, Baker DG, Beckham JC, Bierut LJ, Bisson J, Bradley B, Chen CY, Dalvie S, Farrer LA, Galea S, Garrett ME, Gelernter JE, Guffanti G, Hauser MA, Johnson EO, Kessler RC, Kimbrel NA, King A, Koen N, Kranzler HR, Logue MW, Maihofer AX, Martin AR, Miller MW, Morey RA, Nugent NR, Rice JP, Ripke S, Roberts AL, Saccone NL, Smoller JW, Stein DJ, Stein MB, Sumner JA, Uddin M, Ursano RJ, Wildman DE, Yehuda R, Zhao H, Daly MJ, Liberzon I, Ressler KJ, Nievergelt CM, Koenen KC. (2017) Largest GWAS of PTSD (N=20 070) yields genetic overlap with schizophrenia and sex differences in heritability. Mol Psychiatry. Apr 25. doi:10.1038/mp.2017.77. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sumner JA, Duncan LE, Wolf EJ, Amstadter AB, Baker DG, Beckham JC, Gelaye B, Hemmings S, Kimbrel NA, Logue MW, Michopoulos V, Mitchell KS, Nievergelt C, Rothbaum A, Seedat S, Shinozaki G, Vermetten E. (2017) Letter to the Editor: Posttraumatic stress disorder has genetic overlap with cardiometabolic traits. Psychol Med. 47(11):2036-2039.
- Pittman JO, Floto E, Lindamer L, Baker DG, Lohr JB, Afari N. (2017) VA eScreening program: Technology to improve care for post-9/11 veterans. Psychol Serv. 14(1):23-33.
- Huang MX, Harrington DL, Robb Swan A, Angeles Quinto A, Nichols S, Drake A, Song T, Diwakar M, Huang CW, Risbrough VB, Dale A, Bartsch H, Matthews S, Huang JW, Lee RR, Baker DG. (2017) Resting-State Magnetoencephalography Reveals Different Patterns of Aberrant Functional Connectivity in Combat-Related Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma. 34(7):1412-1426.
- Lerman I, Davis BA, Bertram TM, Proudfoot J, Hauger RL, Coe CL, Patel PM, Baker DG. (2016) Posttraumatic stress disorder influences the nociceptive and intrathecal cytokine response to a painful stimulus in combat veterans. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 73:99-108.
- Daskalakis NP, Cohen H, Nievergelt CM, Baker DG, Buxbaum JD, Russo SJ, Yehuda R. (2016) New translational perspectives for blood-based biomarkers of PTSD: From glucocorticoid to immune mediators of stress susceptibility. Exp Neurol. 284(Pt B):133-140.
- Risbrough VB, Glenn DE, Baker DG. (2016) On the Road to Translation for PTSD Treatment: Theoretical and Practical Considerations of the Use of Human Models of Conditioned Fear for Drug Development. Curr Top Behav Neurosci 28:173-96.
- Agorastos A, Angkaw AC, Johnson HE, Hansen CJ, Cook CV, Baker DG.(2016) Peritraumatic Behavior Questionnaire – Observer Rated: Validation of the objective version of a measure for combat-related peritraumatic stress. World J Psychiatry. 6(2):226-32.
- Risbrough VB, Glenn DE, Baker DG. (2016) On the Road to Translation for PTSD Treatment: Theoretical and Practical Considerations of the Use of Human Models of Conditioned Fear for Drug Development. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. Jun 17.[Epub ahead of print]
- Lerman I, Hauger R, Sorkin L, Proudfoot J, Davis B, Huang A, Lam K, Simon B, Baker DG. (2016) Noninvasive Transcutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation Decreases Whole Blood Culture-Derived Cytokines and Chemokines: A Randomized, Blinded, Healthy Control Pilot Trial. Neuromodulation. 19(3):283-290.
- Biswas N, Maihofer AX, Mir SA, Rao F, Zhang K, Khandrika S, Mahata M, Friese RS, Hightower CM, Mahata SK, Baker DG, Nievergelt CM, Vaingankar SM, O’Connor DT. (2016) Polymorphisms at the F12 and KLKB1 loci have significant trait association with activation of the renin-angiotensin system. BMC Med Genet. 17(1):21.
- Glenn DE, Acheson DT, Geyer MA, Nievergelt CM, Baker DG, Risbrough VB; MRS Team. (2016) High and low threshold for startle reactivity associated with PTSD symptoms but not PTSD risk: Evidence from a prospective study of active duty Marines. Depress Anxiety. 33(3):192-202.
- Minassian A, Baker DG, Risbrough VB. (2016) Heart Rate Variability and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. JAMA Psychiatry. 73(2):178-9.