3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161 (116A)
Dr. Lohr is the founding Director of CESAMH from 2006 to 2018. He is a Staff Psychiatrist and Attending Physician at the VA San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS) as well as Professor at the University of California (UCSD) Department of Psychiatry. He served as Chief of Psychiatry for the VASDHS for 9 years and Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs for the UCSD Department of Psychiatry for 16 years. Dr. Lohr received his M.D. in 1980 from the Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago. From there, he went to the University of Pittsburg where he completed his residency in Adult Psychiatry at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinics in 1984. He then completed a Neuropsychiatry Fellowship at the National Institute of Mental Health in Washington DC in 1987.
Dr. Lohr currently serves as psychiatrist on several research projects at VASDHS and UCSD. His primary interests include the neurobiology and physiology of stress- and trauma-related disorders among Veterans, particularly post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI). His latest research interests include investigations of accelerated aging in PTSD as well as investigations of the potential use of online social networking in clinical trials for PTSD and other disorders.
Dr. Lohr also has extensive expertise in neuropsychiatric movement disorders and the major psychotic illnesses of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. He has been involved in research and treatment of motor function, brain imaging, oxidative metabolism, and lateralized hemispheric functioning in these disorders, as well as studies of psychopharmacology and of healthcare systems and delivery.
- Lohr JB, Palmer BW, Eidt CA, Aailaboyina S, Mausbach BT, Wolkowitz OM, Thorp SR, Jeste DV. (2015). Is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Associated with Premature Senescence? A Review of the Literature. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 23(7): 709-725.
- Afari N, Pittman J, Floto E, Owen L, Buttner M, Hossain N, Baker DG, Lindamer L, Lohr JB. (2015). Differential impact of combat on postdeployment symptoms in female and male veterans of iraq and afghanistan. Military Medicine, 180(3): 296-303.
- Tylee DS, Chandler SD, Nievergelt CM, Liu X, Pazol J, Woelk CH, Lohr JB, Kremen WS, Baker DG, Glatt SJ, Tsuang MT; Marine Resiliency Study Investigators. (2015). Blood-based gene-expression biomarkers of post-traumatic stress disorder among deployed marines: A pilot study. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 51: 472-494.
- Twamley EW, Thomas KR, Gregory AM, Jak AJ, Bondi MW, Delis DC, Lohr JB. (2015). CogSMART Compensatory Cognitive Training for Traumatic Brain Injury: Effects Over 1 Year. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 30(6): 391-401.
- Twamley EW, Baker DG, Norman SB, Pittman JO, Lohr JB, Resnick SG. (2013). Veterans Health Administration vocational services for Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom Veterans with mental health conditions. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 50(5): 663-670.