3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161
Dr. Simmons received his B.A. degree in Psychology from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) and his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology. After completing a pre doctoral internship in clinical neuropsychology at Oak Forest Hospital in Illinois, he joined the laboratories of UCSD Professors Murray Stein and Martin Paulus as a postdoctoral fellow. Dr. Simmons is currently a Director of the fMRI Research Laboratory at the VA San Diego Healthcare System and an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at UCSD.
Dr. Simmons’ research focuses on neuroimaging of emotional systems such as anticipatory and affective appraisal. He has conducted studies on post-traumatic stress disorders, traumatic brain injury, trait anxiety, neuropsychopharmacology, and depression. Dr. Simmons is collaborating with other investigators on the study of pain processing, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, adult/adolescent depression, and eating disorders. In addition, he is working on novel computational models for imaging analysis. Dr. Simmons has received funding the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Affective Disorders (NARSAD) and from the U.S. Department of Defense. He has more than a hundred peer-reviewed manuscripts and several book chapters.
- Buchsbaum MS, Simmons A, DeCastro A, Farid N, Matthews S. (2015). Clusters of low FDG uptake voxels in combat veterans with traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder. Journal of Neurotrauma. [Epub ahead of print]
- Strigo IA, Spadoni AD, Lohr J, Simmons AN. (2014). Too hard to control: compromised pain anticipation and modulation in mild traumatic brain injury. Translational Psychiatry. 4:e340.
- Johnson DC, Thom NJ, Stanley EA, Haase L, Simmons AN, Shih PA, Thompson WK, Potterat EG, Minor TR, Paulus MP. (2014). Modifying resilience mechanisms in at-risk individuals: a controlled study of mindfulness training in Marines preparing for deployment. American Journal of Psychiatry. 171(8):844-853.
- Simmons AN, Norman SB, Spadoni AD, Strigo IA. (2013). Neurosubstrates of remission following prolonged exposure therapy in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. 82(6):382-389.
- Simmons, A.N., Flagan, T.M., Wittmann, M., Strigo, I.A., Matthews, S.C., Donovan, H., Lohr, J.B., & Paulus, M.P. (2013). The effects of temporal unpredictability in anticipation of negative events in combat veterans with PTSD. Journal of Affective Disorders. 146(3):426-432.
- Aupperle, R.L., Allard, C.B., Simmons, A.N., Flagan, T., Thorp, S.R., Norman, S.B., Paulus, M.P., & Stein, M.B. (2013). Neural responses during emotional processing before and after cognitive trauma therapy for battered women. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging. 214(1):48-55.
- Simmons, A.N., Fitzpatrick, S., Strigo, I.A., Potterat, E.G., Johnson, D.C., Matthews, S.C., Van Orden, K.F., Swain, J.L., Paulus, M.P. (2012). Altered Insula Activation in Anticipation of Changing Emotional States: Neural Mechanisms Underlying Cognitive Flexibility in Special Operations Forces Personnel. NeuroReport. 23(4):234-239.
- Simmons, A.N., Arce, E., Lovero, K.L., Stein, M. B., & Paulus, M.P. (2009). Subchronic SSRI administration reduces insula response during affective anticipation in health volunteers. The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 23:1-12.
- Simmons, A.N., Paulus, M.P., Thorp, S.R., Matthews, S.C., Norman, S.B., & Stein, M.B. (2008). Functional Activation and Neural Networks in Women with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Related to Intimate Partner Violence. Biological Psychiatry. 64(8):681-690.
- Simmons, A., Strigo, I, Matthews, S.C., Paulus, M.P., & Stein, M.B., (2006). Anticipation of aversive visual stimuli is associated with increased insula activation in anxiety-prone subjects. Biological Psychiatry. 60(4):402-409.