3350 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92161 (116A)
Dr. Kremen received his Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Boston University in 1990. He completed his Clinical Internship at Harvard Medical School where he remained as a faculty member until joining the faculty at the University of California, Davis in 1996. He has been Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) since 2003 and is a faculty member in the UCSD Stein Institute for Research on Aging and the Center for Behavioral Genomics. He is also Co-Director of the UCSD Center for Behavior Genetics of Aging, Director of the UCSD Department of Psychiatry’s Twin Research Laboratory, and a faculty member in the Neuropsychology Tract in the SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology. Dr. Kremen ranked between 8 and 12 out of 1153-1160 individuals in the years 2015-2017 for NIH funding as a principal investigator(www.brimr.org); this puts him in the top <1% for NIH funding nationwide.
- Hatton SN, Franz CE, Elman JA, Panizzon MS, Hagler, DJ,Jr, Fennema-Notestine C, Rinker D, Eyler LT, McEvoy LK, Lyons MJ, Tsuang MT, Dale AM, Kremen WS. (in press). Negative fateful life events and advanced predicted brain aging. Human Brain Mapping.
- Gillespie NA, Neale MC, Bates TC., Fennema-Notestine C, Eyler LT, Lyons MJ, Franz CE, Hickie I, Martin NG, Strike L, Prom-Wormley E, Panizzon MS, Kremen WS, Wright M. (in press). Testing associations between cannabis and subcortical volumes in two large population-based studies. Addiction.
- Logue MW, Panizzon MS, Elman JA, Gillespie NA, Hatton SN, Gustavson DE, Andreassen OA, Dale AM, Franz CE, Lyons MJ, Neale MC, Reynolds CA, Tu XM, Kremen WS. (Epub ahead of print). Use of an Alzheimer’s disease polygenic risk score to identify mild cognitive impairment in adults in their 50s. Molecular Psychiatry.
- Breen, M.,S. Tylee, D.S, Maihofer, A., Neylan, T.L., Mehta, D., Binder, E., Chandler, S.D., Hess, J., Kremen, W.S., Risbrouhg, V., Woelk, C.M., Baker, D.G., Nievergelt, C.M., Tsuang, M.T., Buxbaum J.D., Glatt, S.J. (2018) PTSD blood transcriptome mega-analysis: Shared inflammatory pathways across biological sex and modes of trauma. Neuropsychopharmacology, 43: 469-481.
- Franz CE, Lyons ML, Kremen, W.S. (in press). Long-term influences of combat exposure and post-traumatic stress symptoms on brain structure, health, and functioning: The Vietnam Era Twin Study of Aging. In R. Spiro, R. Settersten, and C. Aldwin (Eds.), R. Long-Term Outcomes of Military Service. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Panizzon MS, Hauger RL, Xian H, Jacobson KC, Lyons MJ, Franz CE, Kremen WS. (2018). Interactive effects of testosterone and cortisol on hippocampal volume and episodic memory in middle-aged men. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 91: 115-122.
- Kremen WS, Panizzon MS, Cannon TD. (2016). Genetics and neuropsychology: A merger whose time has come. Neuropsychology. 30(1):1-5.
- Tylee DS, Chandler SD, Nievergelt CM, Liu X, Pazol J, Woelk CH, Lohr JB, Kremen WS, Baker DG, Glatt SJ, Tsuang MT; Marine Resiliency Study Investigators. (2015). Blood-based gene-expression biomarkers of post-traumatic stress disorder among deployed marines: A pilot study. Psychoneuroendocrinology 51:472-494.
- Franz CE, Lyons MJ, Spoon KM, Hauger RL, Jacobson KC, Lohr JB, McKenzie R, Panizzon MS, Thompson WK, Tsuang MT, Vasilopoulos T, Vuoksimaa E, Xian H, Kremen WS. (2014). Post-traumatic stress symptoms and adult attachment: a 24-year longitudinal study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. (12):1603-1612.
- Lyons MJ, Genderson M, Grant MD, Logue M, Zink T, McKenzie R, Franz CE, Panizzon M, Lohr JB, Jerskey B, Kremen WS. (2013). Gene-environment interaction of ApoE genotype and combat exposure on PTSD. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics. 162B(7):762-769.
- Kremen WS, Fennema-Notestine C, Eyler LT, Panizzon MS, Chen CH, Franz CE, Lyons MJ, Thompson WK, Dale AM. (2013). Genetics of brain structure: contributions from the Vietnam Era Twin Study of Aging. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics. 162B(7):751-761.
- Glatt SJ, Tylee DS, Chandler SD, Pazol J, Nievergelt CM, Woelk CH, Baker DG, Lohr JB, Kremen WS, Litz BT, Tsuang MT; Marine Resiliency Study Investigators. (2013). Blood-based gene-expression predictors of PTSD risk and resilience among deployed marines: a pilot study. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics. 162B(4):313-326.
- Kremen WS, Franz CE, Lyons MJ. (2013). VETSA: the Vietnam Era Twin Study of Aging. Twin Research and Human Genetics. 16(1):399-402.
- Kremen WS, Koenen KC, Afari N, Lyons MJ. (2012). Twin studies of posttraumatic stress disorder: differentiating vulnerability factors from sequelae. Neuropharmacology. 62(2):647-653.
- Kremen WS, Koenen KC, Boake C, Purcell S, Eisen SA, Franz CE, Tsuang MT, Lyons MJ. (2007). Pretrauma cognitive ability and risk for posttraumatic stress disorder: a twin study. Archives of General Psychiatry. 64(3):361-368.